Saturday, December 22, 2007

Benefits of Surgery

True to my nature, I have found the good in having all this surgery during the holidays. While most people are "battling the bulge" and trying deserately to not to 'pack on the pounds' with all the holiday partying and exchanging of sweets, I am not even tempted. Not one bit.

When I was young and didn't want to eat something, my father would say, "Just plug your nose and you won't taste a thing". Now, I don't even have to plug my nose; the doctor did that for me quite well during sinus surgery. I have no idea why I bothered shopping for flavors I woud like in assorted popcicles, yogurt, pudding, and jello. They are all tasteless and therefore unappetizing.

In addition to that, with my tonsils out, the only thing that feels remotely ok is lukewarm broth. I can't taste it either so it doesn't matter what kind. In fear of pain, or tearing out stitches, I am not the least bit tempted with the caramel corn, sweet breads, fudge, nuts, candies, or chocolate covered pretzels the neighbors have sent. Having had foot surgery, I am not inclined to make any either. That would require me getting up off the couch, which I am doing as little as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining about all this. In fact, I managed to stand on the scales just long enough to weigh myself today and I am ecstatic! I have lost a total of 10 pounds! In my surgery release instructions it said, "Activity level: Go to bed!" and the other one said, "If there was ever a time to be a couch potato, this is it." I think I like these doctors!

Due to these surgeries:
I am not running marathons out there with all the last minute holiday shoppers,
I have no cravings for any type of food whatsoever
My blood sugars are way down
I am relaxing and avoiding the stress
And, I will become a slimmer, thinner me
There could be health benefits to being a couch potato after all.

No comments: